Training Our Kids in the Lord
How did Hezekiah, one of Israel’s most faithful kings ever, produce Manasseh, Israel’s most wicked king ever? However it happened, Toby made the point in last weekend’s message that although there are no guarantees in parenting, we must be zealously proactive in raising our kids in the instruction of the Lord.
I would like to address this from my role as the interim Children’s Ministry Director. After 10 years in this role when our own kids were young I thought my days in this capacity were over. But when the need arose and I was asked if I would serve on an interim basis I hesitantly said yes, knowing it would be a stretch balancing my 3rd grade teaching job and this role. Six months into it I will say that is has indeed been a significant stretch but also a great blessing. Here are some of the high points.
- Summer: Jesus loves the Children of the World: I loved our summer series using the Voice of the Martyrs material to take the kids to 10 countries where Christians faithfully follow Jesus despite persecution and poverty. To see the kids grasping some of what people face around the world and praying for them and giving money to help others know Jesus was awesome!
- Fall: Ten Commandments: Each week the kids learn about one of “God’s Top 10 Commandments” and a song to go with it. It has been encouraging to see the kids taking the commandments to heart and applying them to real life situations. We are also helping them connect God’s standards to the gospel, which says that, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23) but the good news is, “While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)
God’s Top Ten Musical: This Sunday night, November 20 at 6pm! (Children, arrive at 5:15pm)
- December: Birth of Jesus: Celebrating God coming to be with us in the birth of Jesus.
- January: Names of God: In the new year, the kids will learn about the Names of God for the rest of the school year. We will focus mostly on the life of Christ, and how he has revealed Himself to us: I AM, The Word, Bread of Life, Light of the World, The Resurrection and the Life, and so much more. We hope your kids will be there to soak in as much of Jesus as possible.
We need more help to keep this going. We have a small core of wonderful teachers that teach every week, but the number of kids has been growing. I have been teaching Saturday nights almost every week, as well as Sundays at 11am and can’t keep up that schedule. We need more teachers in order to provide effective instruction and care for the kids.
- Saturday Night: In order to continue offering a Saturday night children’s program, we need 4 people to team up to teach once a month. (Teams of 2 teach on a rotating basis.)
- Sunday at 11am: We also need 2 more teachers to teach Sundays at 11am so we can split that group into K-3rd and 4th-5th as it has gotten too big to meet all of their needs.
One of the joys of teaching is working with a team. We plan together, pray together, persevere together, and rejoice together when we see God working in us and in the kids. It’s not easy, but it’s worth it! Please reply to this e-mail if you can help be part of the team.
For His Purpose in the Next Generation,