A Hearing Heart and a Helping Hand
King Solomon is famously known as the wisest man who ever lived. Wiser even than Ethan, Heman, Calcol and Darda, (1 Kings 4:31) the ancient equivalent of Da Vinci, Einstein, Newton and Hawking.
But his genius was not a one-time download from the divine database but a live, ongoing connection to God. He asked for and received a ‘hearing heart;’ the ability to discern truth and a ready will to obey it.
This kind of brilliance could never lock itself away in an ivory tower spending every day pondering life’s mysteries. God grants wisdom so that it may benefit others. A heart that truly hears God will inevitably offer their hands to serve him.
- Breaking into the hum drum of the day to hug those kids and say the words, “I love you.”
- Stopping in the midst of the pressing schedule to chat with your older neighbor.
- Getting a ‘round to it’ and writing a card to that person God brought to mind as you mowed the lawn.
- Spending a week to shepherd a team of first graders through their stations at VBS.
- Taking an evening to work through the ballot with a hearing heart and voting accordingly.
- Opening your Bible and stilling your soul so you can hear God more clearly. Rinse and repeat.
Pastor TobyCategories: Evergreen Connection